Sunday, June 21, 2009

Half Way There....and 5 Years Ago Today

I apologize for such a lengthy time between updates.
Mom is doing well! She is half way through her treatments...3 rounds down...3 to go! Her doctor is pleased with her progress and the bloodwork indicates that the treatments are working! Please continue to pray for Mom. We definitely feel your prayers! The chemo and other medications are hard on Mom's body but have not touched her spirit. Mom is pretty wiped out for about 9 days during each 21 day chemo cycle. However, on about day 10 she begins to feel human again and bounces back with full force. She is able to work in they yard, enjoy the kids, and even get out of the house for short excursions!
We continued to praise God in this storm, having faith that He will give us the strength and peace we need to weather this leg of life's journey, looking forward to fair weather once again.

On a different note...

Katherine and I came back from Disney World and hopped right into the wonderful world of summer! We had a fabulous trip and enjoyed seeing the dear families who were with us, 5 years ago, on our journey to becoming a family. Nothing in Disney World compared to the magical, instant bond between the children. We, all the parents, watched the children in awe as they laughed, hugged, and walked arm in arm throughout the trip. They are brave little souls and we feel blessed to have been given the gift of parenting them. I never cease to find wonder in the world of adoption. It's a miracle, actually, that Katherine and I found each other from opposite ends of the earth...literally! It seems that Webster's thinks so as well. :) According to the dictionary, a miracle is...an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs. I thank God everyday for His divine intervention in my journey to becoming a mom!

By they way...It was 5 years ago today that I sent this email from Kazakhstan:

June 21, 2004
What more can I say....I thought this day would NEVER come and here it is...I AM OFFICIALLY KATHERINE'S MOM!!!!!!! I just returned from court and it was just one more unbelieveable experience on this journey. It is an extremely hot day so dressing up for court was not the most pleasant experience. Mom went to court with me but was not allowed to go in the court room. The judge sat behind the desk and the prosecutor sat next to him. Accompanying me was my translator, the director of the orphanage, and the representative from the Ministry of Education. The judge and prosecutor had stern faces...quite intimidating! I was asked a few questions by the judge and prosecutor. The director of the orphanage and the woman from the Ministry of Education spoke on my behalf. I then had to read my closing statement which I had prepared beforehand. The translator talked and coached me through everything. She was wonderful!! We then left the court room and returned about 5 minutes later for the decision. The judge read a long statement that bascially said that he was in favor of me becoming Katherine's mom. The only thing I could understand, with a little help from my translator, was when he said, "Her name may be changed to DuBose. You are granted my permission to be the girl's mama." That's ALL I needed tohear!!!!!!!!!


A couple of pictures from our "trip of a lifetime" to Kazakhstan!







4 comments:

  1. So glad to hear she is halfway through and it is working!!! yay! Sounds like a good time was had by all at Disney and I love hearing about Katherine's adoption story and seeing pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i haven't checked in in quite some time...and i apologize for that! i am glad your mom is doing well and the treatments are working...will continue to pray for her! loved seeing the pics of you and katherine on your "adoption" day! you are blessed! -caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like just yesterday! So good to be with you guys in FL. I hope we can meet in Louisville before too long!
    -Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Kay, our thoughts and prayers are with you! We all love you and miss seeing you!
    We are happy to be reminded of your special anniversary with Katherine. God sends special Angels to some of us, occasionally from the other side of the world!
    And those of us he chooses to be blessed in this way, WEEEELLLLLL, only we know the absolute joy these children bring!
    Miss you Kay, we do pray for you and look forward to seeing you soon.
    The Scruggs Family

    ReplyDelete